Denim jeans are a timeless classic, the go-to wardrobe staple for men of all ages and lifestyles. But wearing jeans can be tricky business; there’s a fine line between looking stylish and sloppy. To help you get it right every time, we've created this guide to denim dos and don'ts.
From what cuts to look for when shopping to how to style your perfect pair, here's everything you need to know about rocking your jeans like a pro. So grab your favorite pair of denim and let's dive into Denim Dos & Don'ts: A Guide to Wearing Men's Jeans!
When Is It Acceptable to Wear Denim Jeans to Work?
Jeans often come with connotations of being too casual for the office. Still, there is also an argument that they can be worn in an office-appropriate way. If you work in a more laid-back environment, wear a pair of darker-shade denim without distressing.
The key is finding the right balance between professional suits and casual. It’s also important to pair them with other professional items such as a dress shirt, tailored V-neck sweater, and Oxford shoes. All these elements will help create an outfit that looks suitable for the workplace.
The Dos and Don'ts of Wearing Jeans
From skinny jeans to bootcut styles for a casual weekend look or something more formal, let's see how you can wear denim with confidence and style.
Do Choose the Right Fit
Not all jeans are created equal, and you should take time to find the right fit for your body type.
For men, choosing the appropriate fitting starts by understanding different fits, such as slim fit, regular fit, or loose fit. Knowing which pants work best for your body type is key to getting that desired silhouette.
Paying attention to details like fabric, such as raw denim or selvedge denim, weight, and washing instructions are also crucial in ensuring your new purchase lasts through multiple wears without losing its shape or color vibrancy over time.
The best denim for different body types:
- Rectangular body shape – Low-waist, straight-fit jeans
- Inverted triangle body shape – Straight-fit denim with cargo pockets
- Triangle body shape – Loose denim with wide legs
- Trapezoid body shape – Low-rise, slim-cut jeans
- Oval body shape – High-waist, straight-cut denim
So take time to explore your options before settling on any one style – because when it comes to fashion, fitting matters most!
Don't Wear Jeans That Are Too Tight
While skinny jeans may be fashionable, they can cause discomfort when moving around.
People with slim legs often find skinny jeans unflattering, whereas a larger guy may find slim jeans too restraining. To avoid this fashion faux pas, pay attention to the comfort of your thighs and legs overall, and don't let yourself be swayed by trends or what looks good on a mannequin.
When shopping for slim jeans, try them on before making a purchase. Take note of where they hit your waistline and how easily they move with your body when sitting down or walking around.
How to know if the denim is too tight or not:
- Move around in the jeans to make sure they don't feel too restrictive
- Pay attention to how your jeans adjust around the waistline and hips
- Avoid unnecessarily baggy denim, as this can look sloppy
- Ensure there is enough room for you to sit, stand and move comfortably
- Look at yourself in a full-length mirror to get an accurate idea of the fit
The perfect pair of jeans should make you relaxed from the moment you put them on and allow freedom of movement, no matter what activities come up during your day.
Do Consider Different Wash Options
The wash of a jean can make a huge difference in their overall style.
Denim has always been a popular choice of fabric for fashion enthusiasts. One of the most common denim washes is the stone wash, known for its light blue jeans to dark shades and versatile look that can be dressed up or down.
However, many different types of denim washes available today offer unique looks and styles. From vintage-inspired bleached-out wash to distressed denim and stone-washed jeans, there's something for everyone when it comes to finding their perfect denim.
The 5 different types of denim washes:
- Stone Washing
- Rinse Washing
- Acid Washing
- Enzyme Washing
- Bleach Washing
No matter what kind of jeans you choose, washing them properly will keep them looking their best and ensure they last longer. So take some time to consider different wash options before making a decision – after all, it could be the deciding factor in how great your next outfit looks!
Don't Wear Jeans That Are Too Long
Longer jeans can make you look shorter, so search for jeans that hit the top of your shoes for a more flattering fit.
Opt for styles that hit just above your footwear - this will help create an elongated silhouette and give the illusion of added height. Not only will you appear taller, but it also gives off a more tailored vibe, instantly elevating any outfit.
So next time you're out shopping for new denim, remember: avoid wearing longer jeans that drag down your style – instead, find jeans with a flattering fit!
4 Types of denim lengths:
- Cropped – 26 Inches Inseam length
- Ankle – 27 to 29 Inches Inseam length
- Regular – 30 to 31 Inches Inseam length
- Tall – 32 Inches or above Inseam length
Do Add Accessories to Your Look
Adding accessories such as belts or wallets can help complete your outfit and give it personality.
Men's accessories are the perfect combination to instantly elevate the style and add personality to any suit. Accessories can be used to express one's individuality and demonstrate fashion culture. Opt for elegant items like a brown belt and formal footwear for a classic look. You can also accessorize your jeans with a designer watch and cowboy boots.
For warmer weather, try adding light-colored ties or suspenders to your denim. In cooler temperatures, layer a statement coat or V-neck sweater to give your jeans an extra punch of personality.
Men's accessories that complement your denim:
- Watch with Leather Straps
- Leather Belt
- Leather Wallet
- Brown or Tan Boots or Suede Shoes
- Aviator Sunglasses
- Fedora Hat
- Bracelets & Watches
With the right accessories, you can take any suit from ordinary to extraordinary!
Don't Ignore Denim Trends
Keep an eye on current trends to stay up-to-date with denim fashion
Denim trends have been constantly changing from season to season since the 17th century. It's a versatile fabric that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Looking out for fashion trends will help you achieve your best in all the latest styles.
From vintage-inspired cuts to modern silhouettes, there are plenty of exciting new looks hitting the shelves this season that you won't want to miss! Whether you prefer skinny jeans or baggy fits, distressed washes, or dark indigos - staying up-to-date with denim trends is essential to keep your wardrobe fresh and fashionable. So don't delay - check out what's trending today and get access to more modern silhouettes and colors than ever before!
Possible denim trends for men in 2023:
- Workwear Jeans
- Low-rise Baggy Trousers
- Slim-fit Jeans
- High-rise Jeans
- Raw Denim
- Boot-cut Jeans
- Cargo Jeans
Do Dress Up Your Denim
You don’t have to dress down with denim; dress up your favorite pair of jeans with a button-up shirt and blazer for a more formal look.
With the right combination of clothing items, a pair of jeans can be elevated to give you an effortlessly chic outfit suitable for any occasion.
To achieve this polished style, start by choosing a pair of dark blue jeans as the base of your outfit, adding a crisp white button-up shirt, and top it off with a tailored sweater vest for an instant office-ready ensemble. You can also play around with different footwear to give your denim look extra visual interest.
How to dress up denim jeans:
- Tuck-in Fitted Button-up Shirt
- A Tie
- Waist Coat or a Sweater Vest or a V-neck Sweater
- Wingtip Shoes
- Leather Belt Matching with the Footwear
With these essential elements, you'll be prepped and ready to take on every challenge with timeless grace and elegance!
Don't Be Afraid To Experiment
Try out different styles and fits to find what works best with your body type and lifestyle.
Whether you’re looking for a new wardrobe or just trying something different, experimenting with different styles and fits can help you find what looks best on you. From bold statement pieces to everyday basics, there are so many options out there that will fit your body shape and lifestyle.
Try out trends, mix up colors and patterns, or even switch up your entire look. You never know - you might discover a style that works perfectly for you!
Types of jeans and what to wear with them:
- Straight-leg jeans: They can be easily paired with casual or formal dressing. For a dressier look, pair straight-leg jeans with a button-down shirt, blazer, and suedes. For a more relaxed look, pair your casual pants with a graphic tee and sneakers.
- Tapered fit jeans: They are a slimmer cut that tapers down from the thigh to the ankle. They can be part of a semi-formal dressing for work. Try pairing it with a tucked-in shirt for a more polished look.
- Slim-fit jeans: Best suited for slim to athletic builds and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Pair slim jeans with a sweater and loafers or pair them with a chambray shirt and sneakers for casual get-togethers.
- Work jeans: They are slightly looser than slim-fit jeans and are great for those with an athletic build. They are usually dressed down, so pairing them with a casual t-shirt, a leather jacket, and sneakers would be a perfect match.
- Low-rise jeans: Best suited for dressing down. To dress down, try them with a loose round-neck t-shirt or a hoodie with hip-hop sneakers (if you're not rolling up your jeans).
- High-rise jeans: They can be easily dressed up, coupled with a dress shirt and a blazer without worrying about the appearance of the shirt triangle at the waist. Pair them with loafers without socks).
Do Explore the Denim Materials
Denim is so versatile and varied that you can explore and discover new looks, styles, and trends each time you put it on.
Men's denim comes in a wide variety of materials, and each is designed to create a unique look and feel that can be tailored to fit different occasions. These different materials come in a variety of blends, weights, and colors.
Whether it's the washed-out look of vintage denim or the street chic of distressed denim, a world of possibilities awaits those willing to explore denim styles.
Types of denim materials:
- Denim Blends – Combines different types of materials such as cotton and polyester to create an interesting texture that’s comfortable and lightweight.
- Raw Denim – It is the original style of denim for men and has a heavy-weight feel with no wash or bleach on it.
- Selvedge Denim – Made from raw materials and has been stitched together in a way that creates a unique edge.
- Denim Weight – Refers to the thickness of the fabric. Depending on the desired look and feel, there are lighter denim, medium denim, and heavy-weight denim.
By exploring different denim materials, men can create the perfect look for any occasion. Whether it’s a casual day out or a night on the town, there’s sure to be a type of denim that matches your style.
Don't Overlook Details
Check out details such as stitching, rivets, and pockets to add character and personality to your look.
Denim is one of the most adaptable materials available for fashion lovers to use in their creations. Its malleability and strength make it a popular choice among fashionistas who seek to express themselves through clothes.
Nonetheless, it's essential to understand the quality of denim. High-quality pants will last longer and maintain their shape and color better than their less expensive counterparts. So check for the details such as stitching, rivets, and pockets; these small touches can add extra character and personality, reflecting both comfort and style.
What details to look for in your jeans:
- Stitching – Examine the stitching, particularly on pockets and seams. Look for even stitches with no loose or frayed threads
- Weight – Heavier fabrics usually mean better quality and durability
- Rivets & Buttons – Make sure all rivets and buttons are firmly attached, with no signs of corrosion
- Pocket Lining – Feel inside for a pocket lining to determine whether it is lined or unlined
- Smoothness – Feel the denim for smoothness; good quality denim should be soft to touch but not overly thin
- Embellishments – Inspect any embellishments such as patches. The edges should be neat with no puckering in any area
- Elasticity– Test for a stretch by pinching a small section of the fabric between two fingers - good quality denim should not lose its shape after stretching it out a bit before letting go
Look Great and Feel Comfortable in Men's Jeans
Denim pants are a timeless fashion staple that will never go out of style. Whether you’re looking for the perfect fit, experimenting with different washes and lengths, or adding accessories to stand out from the crowd—there is no wrong way to wear denim! With so many ways to personalize your look, don’t be afraid to try something new and have fun with it. Keep an eye on current trends but ultimately trust your own judgment when selecting jeans that fit both your lifestyle and personality. So get creative—it's time to show off those amazing denim looks!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should Men Wear Jeans Correctly?
Ensure your jeans fit snugly around the waist without requiring a belt and that they don't feel too tight against your body. To avoid achieving an outdated bell-bottom style, opt for a slightly tapered design, giving enough room for comfort while maintaining an overall sleek silhouette. Your jeans should also hit, at least, the top of your shoe, if not slightly longer, for maximum style points.
What Should Men Wear with Denim Jeans?
A classic look is to pair denim with a tucked-in plain t-shirt or button-down shirt. For an edgier vibe, try pairing dark-washed denim with a black graphic tee and leather jacket. Dark-shaded jeans can also be dressed up by tucking in a dress shirt and adding loafers or oxfords for a polished look.
What are the rules for denim on denim?
The combination of two pieces of denim, such as a jean jacket and jeans, creates an edgy and modern look. However, the key rule is to make sure that the two denim pieces are different shades or shades of blue and not an exact match. Another key rule is to balance out the texture of the two pieces. If one piece is a light wash, then opt for a darker wash for the other.